Starch

/Starch
Starch 2016-11-09T09:31:51+00:00

Potato Starch

Potato starch production is a well-defined process that includes the key steps of potato unloading, cleaning, rasping of tubers, juice separation, starch extraction, starch milk refining, dewatering and drying. SiccaDania supplies  core equipment for this process, namely clean-flow washers, raspers, sampling analysis equipment, and a special washing pump. In addition, SiccaDania cooperates with other technology providers and offers complete solutions (turnkey projects) regarding project management & integration.

image092

image093

Tapioca Starch

Tapioca starch processing is very similar to potato starch processing. SiccaDania supplies certain core equipment for this process, namely clean-flow washers, raspers, sampling analysis equipment, and a special washing pump. In addition, SiccaDania cooperates with other technology providers and offers complete solutions (turnkey projects) regarding project management & integration.

Potato Protein

Potato protein is recovered from the potato juice leaving the potato starch plant. The protein is separated in a liquid process involving heat treatment, pH adjustment and separation. For industrial and feed applications, the separated wet protein fraction (approx. 40% TS) is dried in a SiccaDania Zeta Dryer in a very gentle drying process. SiccaDania supplies  spray dryers for potato proteins for human consumption. Producing protein for human consumption  is based on a novel process developed by SiccaDania’s partner, BiOptimate in collaboration with the University of Copenhagen.

image118-1

image096

Potato Fibres

SiccaDania offers a unique process for separation and drying of fibres from potatoes. These fibres are processed to a high quality, high nutritional value product for human consumption. 90% (approx.) of the fibre fraction can be used for human consumption, and the remaining 10% is used for animal feed or bio-gas production. SiccaDania offers the unique Zeta dryer for drying of potato fibres.

Potato Fruit Juice Concentration

Following the protein separation from a potato starch plant, large quantities of fruit juice need to be managed. The traditional way of managing this would be to distribute the liquid by spraying on fields as a fertilizer. There are a number of downsides to this approach. Costs are  very high, and large tanks or basins are  required  for storage outside of the distribution season. The effect of using fruit water as a fertilizer is often poor, and odour from liquid storage facilities  is detrimental to any starch producer’s image. However by concentrating the fruit water to above 40%, the concentrate can be stored in smaller covered facilities until the next distribution season. The concentrate now has a commercial value rather than being a cost factor, and the nutrition value as a fertilizer is much improved and in fact can become quite substantial. The majority of the energy used to concentrate the fruit juice can be recovered and used in the starch plant, making this unit operation economically viable. SiccaDania designs and supplies evaporators with mechanical vapour rcompression (MVR) for this application at production capacities exceeding 80 tons/hour, if required.

image095